Saturday, 31 August 2013

Newspaper Nails

Hi Glossies! I'm sorry I've been a stranger but I'm back and have a nail post for you. I thought I would give the newspaper manicure a go. It's only my first attempt and it hasn't gone perfectly but I still like it. So here's what I used:


(From left to right: Surgical Spirit, Nails Inc. Colville Mews, OPI Nail Envy, Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat, a small bowl to decant the surgical spirit into, some cuttings from a newspaper)

I started by applying OPI Nail Envy as a base coat to all my nails. Then I chose Nails Inc. Colville Mews for my background colour as it's beige and I wanted it to look quite editorial and neutral. I did 3 coats of colour to get it to full opacity.

Next for the fun bit.... I dipped one finger into my bowl of surgical spirit (I bought this from a chemist for £1.30 for a 200ml bottle) for about 10 seconds before pressing one of my newspaper clippings onto the nail for about 15 seconds, being careful not to move the paper and smudge (this is where you could really use 3 hands). I repeated this process on every nail. To finish I applied my Seche Vite Top Coat.

 
 
 
As you can see from the last photograph, my right hand has come out better as I'd got the hang of how long to hold the paper on for. They're not perfect but I quite like that.
 
I like this look, it's something a little different but with minimal effort. My favourite kind of look! I want to try it with maps if I can find any that are small and detailed enough, I think that will look really interesting.
 
Have you tried the newspaper manicure? Or even tried it with maps? What base colours did you try? Leave me a comment below with your links as I'd love to see your attempts, or tweet me at @glossypolish / Instagram me at @rachaelsmith89
 
I hope you're all having a great weekend and thank you for reading xxx


4 comments:

  1. I've nominated you for the Liebster award...head over to catwalkcrisis.blogspot.co.uk to see what you have to do! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeek thank you lovely, will write up a post this weekend xxx

      Delete