Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Valentines Nails

Hi Glossies! I know I'm a little early for Valentine's Day but I got an idea into my head after trawling through photos of nail designs on Instragram (my new favourite pastime); and I wasn't sure how it would turn out so I thought I'd practice. I decided I was going to try and make my nails look like love hearts, perfect for valentines right?


I used Essie Too Too Hot which Essie state is a 'sizzling rich red coral' I bought it because I thought it looked like the perfect 'wow' in your face red. I love this colour, I only own this red and a No 7 glittery red that is strictly for Christmas time, but I don't think I will be buying any more red polishes any time soon as this one just ticks all the boxes for me.

I started by applying my Nails Inc Kensington Caviar Base Coat to all of my nails. Then about two third's of the way down each nail I used my Essie Too Too Hot to create the love heart shape. I took the brush at an angle at one side of the nail and swept it into the middle, then did the same on the other side, it meant getting polish all over my fingers but I couldn't think of another way to get the shape. I did two coats of the red to get it opaque. I wanted to add a little something extra to the look so I added a little red sequin to the dip in each heart. I did this by using a cocktail stick dipped in a little top coat to pick up the sequin and then placed it on the nail. I then applied my Save The Nail 45 Second Top Coat to seal it all in. I wonder how long it will take me to lose a sequin from one of my nails? Sorry the sequins haven't photographed very well but they are all the same size size, shape and colour. I bought them in a set of 12 from Born Pretty Store and you can get them here.




Next came the mammoth task of cleaning up as I had red polish all over the sides of my nails. I am awaiting an order from Leighton Denny for the Precision Corrector Liquid & Brush, so I had to improvise. I've read a lot than angled brushes are perfect for cleaning up, but I didn't have one that I wanted to ruin by dipping it in nail polish remover, so I asked my lovely grandma if she had any small paint brushes lying around the house. I took the smallest one I could find and cut the bristles so that it was angled. I then used this to remove all the polish from my fingers and around my nail beds. And this was the outcome...

I'm not completely sure that they look like love hearts and around my nail beds is stained a little bit red but I don't think I did badly for a first attempt. I will probably be trying some more lovey dovey designs before the 14th gets here so I'll blog about them if I do. Have you tried any Valentine's nail designs? Be sure to leave me a comment below with your links to them. I hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading xxx

I would just like to edit this post and make a dedication. I would like to dedicate my Valentines Nails to a good friend of mine who sadly lost his life yesterday. He had taken a great interest in my new beauty blogging venture and always asked me how my nails were looking on a particular day. He was in the process of sending me a Valentines Card from Australia where he was living; so these are for you John, I will truly miss you and Happy Valentines Day. Heaven just gained another angel xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment